THE EXPERT GUIDE TO LOOKING AFTER AFRO HAIR
ghd creative artist and multi-award winning afro hair specialist Charlotte Mensah shares her expert guide for textured, healthy looking Afro hair.
“Due to its fragile structure, Afro hair is more prone to damage than Caucasian and Asian hair types, so it’s likely to need a bit more TLC. Protecting and nourishing the hair with the right products is key.” - says Charlotte
1. Get regular trims. Even though it is less obvious than with straight hair. Afro hair needs to be trimmed regularly every 6 to 8 weeks.
2. Most Afro hair soaks up moisture like a sponge so moisturize! moisturize! moisturize! with natural hair-loving oils.
3. Always de-tangle your hair from the bottom up. Starting at the bottom allows you to gently de-tangle each knot, rather than yanking your way through the hair. Use the ghd detangling comb for a painless solution for tangled tresses.
4. Use product cocktailing to customise your hair-care regime. Product cocktailing is simply mixing two or three products together to meet your specific styling needs. My favorite cocktails are curl cream with a tiny amount of styling gel and some Charlotte Mensah Manketti Hair Oil which allows for a supreme hold without leaving your hair dry and crunchy.
5. Massage the scalp. Take a few minutes each day to massage your scalp with hair oil, this simple practice stimulates the secretion of sebaceous oils and stimulates blood circulation.
6. Cuddle at night. Take five minutes to pamper your hair before bedtime, this means moisturizing if necessary, securing the ends and covering at night with a silk scarf.
7. Ensure that you have a good hairdryer – a tool that is kind to your hair is key. I like the ghd air® hair dryer which features advanced ionic technology and delivers fast drying and styling while also reducing frizz. Use with the ghd air® diffuser to add texture and volume to your hair.
AFRO STYLING ESSENTIALS: