Last Modified: December 23, 2021
- What are cookies and similar technologies?
Cookies are small data files that are downloaded to your device when you visit a website or application. When you return to the website, or another website that recognizes that cookie, the cookie is sent to that site to enhance your experience by remembering your preferences, providing tailored advertising, helping you navigate more efficiently or keeping you logged in. You can find out more about cookies at www.allaboutcookies.org or www.youronlinechoices.eu.
The ghd website may use similar technologies to cookies, including pixel tags, mobile device identifiers, web beacons and server logs to understand how you are using our website and provide adverts tailored to you and your interests. These technologies often take the form of a small, transparent graphic images placed on a web page or in an email. They work with cookies and capture data like your IP address, when you viewed the page or email and what device you were using. Where we use web beacons in the emails we send to you, these are used to enable us to assess the level of engagement our emails receive by measuring information such as the delivery rates, open rates and click through rates which our emails achieve.
- What types of cookies does ghd use?
There are different types of cookies:
- Session cookies: these are cookies which last for as long as you keep your web browser open and expire when you close your web browser.
- Persistent cookies: these are cookies which stay on your device for a set period of time and expire at a fixed point in time or if you manually delete them from your browser, whichever occurs first.
- First party cookies: these are cookies set by the website that you are visiting at that time, either by us, or by a third party at our request.
- Third party cookies: these are cookies that are set by a party other than that of the website you are visiting.
- understand the behavior of users to the ghd website;
- track which parts of the ghd website people have visited;
- understand the profile of the users of the ghd website;
- make our ghd website as convenient and personal as possible, for example by keeping you signed in;
- measure the effectiveness of our online advertising or how often our content is viewed;
- determine which email messages were opened, whether you clicked on any links and interacted with the content and to optimize your email experience;
- analyze your information including your location, products and/or services requested, age, time zone, IP address and URL visited, against our wider customer base for internal business purposes, such as generating statistics and developing marketing plans, to improve our services and products, the ghd website and content. We may also aggregate and de-identify your information to create customer segments and share with our licensees and partners.
We may match your browsing activity on one Device, such as your mobile phone, with your browsing activity on another Device, such as your tablet, to ensure our advertising is tailored to you. To allow us to do this, our preferred technology partners may share information, including your browsing patterns, geo-location and device identifiers, and we will match that information to the information in our user base as a whole by identifying the browser and Devices that appear to be used by the same person. To learn more about how we share your information, please refer to our Privacy Notice.
- How to manage your cookies preferences?
We have set out below the ways you can manage your cookie preferences across your browser and your mobile device.
You are welcome to block the use of some or all of the cookies and similar technologies we use on our website. However, please be aware that doing so may impair some features and/or services on our website and its functionality or may even render some or all of it unusable. Additionally, added functionality which is provided by personalization technologies will likely not work - impairing our ability to provide content or products which are most relevant to you.
You should also be aware that clearing all cookies from your browser will also delete any cookies that are storing your preferences, for example, whether you have accepted cookies on a website or any cookies that are blocking other cookies.
Please also note that we do not respond to or honor “do not track" (a/k/a dnt) signals or similar mechanisms transmitted by web browsers.
You can accept or reject some or all cookies (for example, blocking all third party cookies) by adjusting your browser settings. Most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to be notified when you receive a new cookie, and how to disable existing cookies. However, please be aware that when you disable cookies, some features and services on the ghd website may not function properly and may cancel opt-outs that rely on cookies, such as web analytics. If you do not know how to do this, the links below set out information about how to change your browser settings for some of the most commonly used web browsers:
- Google Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en-GB
- Mozilla Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/delete-browsing-search-download-history-firefox?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Clear+Recent+History
- Microsoft Edge: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4468242/microsoft-edge-browsing-data-and-privacy-microsoft-privacy
- Microsoft Internet Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/278835/how-to-delete-cookie-files-in-internet-explorer
- Apple Safari: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH5042?locale=en_US
- Opera: https://help.opera.com/en/latest
Some browsers, such as Chrome and Firefox, allow you to change your settings to browse in ‘incognito’ mode, limiting the amount of data placed on your machine and automatically deleting any persistent cookies placed on your device when you finish your browsing session.
To clear cookies that have previously been placed on your browser, you should select the option to clear your browsing history and ensure that the option to delete or clear cookies is included when you do so.
By setting your email account to display emails as text only, you may be able to prevent the use of some web beacons; however, please be aware that our emails won’t look as pretty and some functionality may be disabled. Please consult the "Help" section of your email client for more information. Alternatively, you can remove yourself completely from our mailing list by going to the bottom of any email from us and clicking on the relevant 'unsubscribe' link in the emails you receive or by contacting us using the details found in the section “How do I contact ghd?”.
Mobile Device Cookies
For your mobile device, you can access which third parties have currently enabled cookies on your mobile device and how to opt-out of some of those cookies by accessing the Network Advertising Initiative's website at http://www.networkadvertising.org/mobile-choices from your mobile device. On your mobile device you may also select “Limit Ad Tracking” (on iOS devices) or “Opt out of Interest-Based Ads” (on Android) which allows you to limit the use of information about your use of apps for purposes of serving ads targeted to your interests.
- How do I contact ghd?